Dionne Warwick - Goddess!


A classic capture!

Stealing a kiss from my goddess at her Luther Vandross produced recording session for the album "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye".  Also pictured, my friend and mentor the late Barbara Shelley, record exec. Clive Davis and Luther's head.  (1983)

I believe that everyone should have a goddess! A muse! A thing of absolute passion that lights up your heart, soul and spirit like nothing else.  A thing that you need no one else's permission to love and adore.  A thing that you feel is unapologetically yours alone, although you don't mind sharing……when you want to.  A thing that you must go back to, listen to, watch, revisit and experience time and time again - just to keep the essence of your existence alive and vibrant!  I'm blessed to have several: Cuba, Negro Baseball Leagues history (and baseball in general), my photography and my music.  But wait there's more!!  One more thing that moves my heart in a different way than all the others, and that is........ta-da.........the music and voice of Dionne Warwick!

I first recall becoming consciously aware of the music and voice of Dionne Warwick when "Walk On By" hit the airways in 1964.  I was just a wee child, but even then, there was something infectious and different about that song compared to other songs I’d hear on the radio or my parents would sometimes blast throughout the house. Maybe it was the bouncy but subtle beat.  Maybe it was the scratchy guitar lick that I didn’t realize was a scratchy guitar.  Maybe it was that haunting and repetitive piano riff in each verse. Or maybe it was the lilting and hypnotic vocals of the mysterious lady singer, (who I was thought was white) who sounded distinctively different than everyone else on the radio. Whatever it was, even now, over 50 years later, I know that Dionne is indeed not white, and “Walk on By” still reigns as my all-time favorite Warwick/Bacharach/David hit.  I love so many of their songs, both hits and non-hits alike, they are the soundtrack of my life.  My favorite hidden gem by the trio is “Check Out Time” - musically it is quintessential Burt Bacharach; lyrically it is Hal David at his poignant best; and vocally, Dionne delivers a vulnerable, understated, and flawless performance  - the song is simply exquisite! 

Here's how the journey with my goddess began!

Picture this: August 12, 1974.  I was working as an usher at the Starlight Theatre in my hometown of Kansas City, MO.  It was my second year working at the theatre which attracted many great performers of the time, all who played week-long gigs.  I was fortunate to see a variety of acts including: Henry Mancini, Della Reese, Doc Severinsen, Pearl Bailey, Connie Stevens, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Roy Clark, Charlie Callas, Danny Thomas, and a slew of other acts.  (In a future blog I'll write about my beautiful, spiritually life-enhancing conversation I had with Danny Thomas).  Dreaming of being a performer myself, those summer night shows were like a classroom for me -- watching the greats do their thing.  Taking mental notes all the while.

The week in topic here, my boss asked me to work late to keep an eye on a certain section of the theatre in case patrons in the area needed some kind of emergency assistance.  It just so happened to be the week that Miss Warwick was scheduled to be in concert.  I had absolutely no interest in sitting through an hour-long Dionne Warwick concert (even though I was familiar with a lot of her songs).  The only reason I said “yes”, was because my beloved baseball team, the Kansas City Royals, just so happened to be playing out of town that week.  My parents were lifelong season tickets holders, so as a family we rarely missed a game!  I reluctantly agreed to work the show.  At that point the only thing I was looking forward to was the little overtime pay in my next paycheck — I was completely unaware that fate was about to deliver the sweetest gift ever!

On the first night, as I sat slumped on the park bench at my command post, pouting because it wasn't Diana Ross or Melba Moore, or hell, just anybody else about to hit the stage, I remember thinking to myself “oh boy....this is gonna be a long, boring week".  However, as the orchestra kicked into gear, another thought entered my brain, "oooh this music is different from other shows, this sounds pretty good".  But of course my rebellious teenage attitude immediately pooh-poohed that thought and I went back to pouting.  And then.....SPOTLIGHT.....and THEN…..on to the stage glides, as I had never seen any other performer capture — a command for the stage with such a dynamic presence of elegance, poise, style and grace — the goddess - Dionne Warwick - had appeared!   

I went from being slumped on that bench, to, in a nano-second, sitting upright, with my eyes transfixed on the Nubian queen floating with an air of regal-ness across that stage!  "WOW" - I heard myself saying out loud.   I was completely and immediately captivated by just her presence!

Needless to say, once the lady had finished her saunter up to the microphone, and did open her mouth and began to sing, OMG, THAT VOICE! "Whatever, whatever, boy I'll do it" - the first sung words from her lips were of Barry White's smash hit song "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up!"  The voice was just as silky smooth, relaxed, intoxicating, and tonally unique as her elegant gait....I WAS DONE! Life would never be the same!

The entire week, I could not WAIT to get to the theatre to once again bask in the harmonious glow of my new newfound musical goddess. All week I hit up every record store in town, buying up every Dionne Warwick record, album or anything else I could find.  I also began cutting out articles of her in newspapers, magazines and other periodicals (even some from libraries - ooops my bad) and learning all I could about just who was this woman who had abducted my musical heart.   

Today, I proudly boast a substantial collection of DW photographs, memorabilia and other artifacts - arguably, I’m sure I must have one of the most comprehensive collection of this type than anyone else.  Other folks collect things like cars, stamps, baseball cards, movie posters, salt & pepper shakers, antiques, and all types of crazy stuff….crazy me collects all things Dionne Warwick…and I’ve had a blast doing it!  I gifted Dionne with a book of many of my “never before seen by the public” photos, (and many images she had long forgotten about), for her 50th anniversary in show business.  I was tickled pink when she sent me an email thanking me, saying, and I quote, it was “the best gift ever!

One night after one of the concerts in ‘74, after they picked me up from work, I begged my parents to take me by the hotel where she was staying.  Earlier that evening, I was able trick her guitarist, Lee Valentine into spilling the beans on which hotel should was in.  I was determined to meet the lady.  I’m sure my parents must have secretly thought their child had gone completely out of his box, but always supportive, they drove me to the Alameda Plaza hotel.  As I walked towards the hotel lobby,  no doubt on a serious mission, my dad (still sitting in the car) called out my name and pointed at four women who were getting into a taxi curbside.  And with that, there she was, lady goddess and her background singers.  I approached the car just as they settled in.  Peering into the window, I looked into the eyes of my goddess sitting in the backseat between two of the singers, and nervously said, "I love your show"!  With a big, warm and gracious smile she replied, ”Thank you sugar"! And with that, backup singer Darlene Love, winked and rolled up the window, and off they went.  But that was good enough for me.....for that moment!

I guess I've always been a little odd....but I look at that as being a good thing! I’ve always been an embracer of the underdog.  Things that I think are the cats meow are not always what everybody else thinks is amazing and wonderful….and that’s just peachy with me!  While friends in high school were listening to Earth, Wind & Fire, the Ohio Players, the Jackson 5, the Average White Band, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Rondstadt, The Eagles, and a slew of other artists (all whom I love too don't get me wrong), I was engrossed in listening to what I dubbed as the haute couture of pop music.  The oboe-esque toned and exquisite vocal stylings of Dionne Warwick.

Through the years since that first brief taxi cab encounter, I have been blessed to have gotten to be friends with my goddess!  And, she has always been a champion and supporter of Byron Motley!  Whenever I’ve asked for career or life advise she’s taken time on the phone to chat.  When I’ve asked her to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf (and there have been several), or the Foreword to my father's memoir, or even condolence letters to be read at both my parents home-going celebrations, the answer without hesitation, has always been, "yes, when do you need it by"!

More than a goddess, more than a muse, more than just the voice of life, Dionne Warwick is one that shows support for the people she loves and respects.  I’m honored to be in that crowd.  She's proven over and over and over again, that truly, that's what friends are for!


Letter of recommendation from Dionne (1984) 💕
One of those rare "never seen before photos" of Dionne from the Byron Motley Archival Collection (circa 1973)

My first photo ever with goddess Dionne! July 30, 1976. Backstage at the Starlight Theatre, Kansas City, MO.
This photo always makes me laugh because my poor ol' daddy was so nervous and excited he couldn't quite focus the camera! 😂

At the Grammy Museum (2013)


More from and about me at: www.byronmotleyphotography.com & www.byronmotley.com

Comments

Grace said…
I enjoyed reading about your relationship with the amazing Dionne Warwick. I, too, am a long-time fan of hers and of Burt Bacharach, as the talent of the two were practically spoken in one breath for decades. I was frustrated because my voice could not reach her soprano range (and certainly lacks the incredible dexterity of her signature sound). Nevertheless, I sing along and still put on Dionne Warwick hits when I need to feel calmed and centered in the world. I pray she is well and realizes what a world of fans still adore her.