Barbra! She really IS “the Greatest Star"!

Upgraded Streisand Ticket - New Years Eve 1993!

While recently watching the Barbra Streisand Netflix special "The Music....The Mem'ries....The Magic", a flood of magical musical memories came back for me!

I have been a Streisand fan for a long time.  The movie and soundtrack of "A Star is Born" is when I really got bit by the Barbra bug.  I've seen the movie countless time, and wore out the vinyl disc!

I've had this button in my collection ever since the movie "A Star Is Born" came out!

However, I recall it was the song "People" back in the mid-60's when her vocals really soared into my young heart and conciousness.  My mother would blast the record on the home stereo from time to time, and often played and sang it on the piano - doing her best Streisand-esque vocal phrasing and inflections.  And she sounded amazing!  I remember once she sang it for a friend of mine from college who had come over to visit and was also a burgeoning music producer (he later went on to be a successful jingle producer in NYC).  He was so impressed he wanted to take her into the studio and record it!  Looking back now.....I wish he had done it!

I can also remember how, even as a child, whenever "People" came on the radio, Barbra's voice just made you stop whatever you were doing and just listen! Especially the last 30 seconds of the song when she sings the line, "...but first be a person who needs people, peeeoopllleee who need people...."  If you know the record you know EXACTLY which part I'm talking about about!  Gives me goosy's just writing and thinking about it!  Brilliant record! (I think I'll take a listen....) 😊😊

I've had the pleasure of "meeting" (and I do use the word "meeting" loosely) Miss Streisand 3 times.  Perhaps "being in the direct presence of" is more accurate! Haha!!

My first encounter with lady diva was when I was working on my Master's in Music at USC (University of Southern California). One evening she came to campus to talk to film school students about her latest film "Yentl" (probably my all-time favorite Striesand film).  The campus was all abuzz in the days preceding her visit. 

As fate would have it, on the evening when she came, I just so happened to be walking back to campus for a rehearsal when I saw a limousine pull up behind the music school.  Temporarily forgetting she was coming to campus, I thought to myself "thats odd, a limo on campus"...that was just something you never saw.  In the next breath I realized, "OH MY GOD IT'S GOTTA BE BARBRA STREISAND!"  I was so excited that I started running towards the limo and literally fell down the stairs I was on!!! My books going one way, me the other! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I quickly pulled myself together, oblivious to my freshly scraped skin, and briskly moved towards the limo!  I could now see that it was indeed "the greatest star" exiting the vehicle.  As I raced forward, I became consciously reminded, "Ummmmm....you better slow down fool.....you are a black boy....don't be rushing up on this white woman in the dark!!! NO! NO! NO! Rethink THIS scenario and QUICK....SLOW YOUR ASS DOWN!"  So, I took a deep breath, slowed my pace enough until she was walking just a few feet behind me.  In tow with her were lyricists Alan & Marilyn Bergman whom I recognized immediately (because I adore their songs), and 2 burly bodyguards!  My instincts not to rush her paid off!! 

As we walked along a dimly lit pathway, I was getting the biggest kick out of just listening to her talk.  And a non-stop chatty Cathy she was!  πŸ˜…πŸ˜…  I don't recall what she was saying as I was too busy trying to organize my thoughts on how I should introduce myself.  I was not about to let this opportunity pass me by, but, I certainly was not going to do it until we got into a better lit area!

Methodically, I arranged the books I was carrying so when I turned to greet her she might notice they were music book (hoping that might spark deeper conversation).  I also glanced over my shoulder at her a couple of times and smiled (again to signal "I'm friendly").  Once we got to the better lit area of the campus, I slowly turned around and said, "Hello Miss Streisand, excuse me....my name is Byron Motley and I'm...." No sooner that amount of words were out of my mouth, the 2 broodish bodyguards seemed to come out of nowhere and swooped her up by each armpit and practically lifted her over my head moving her beyond my reach! I stood there watching the floating diva being carried away like Cleopatra on a human barge!

It all happened so quickly I think it shocked even her!  She did however glance over her shoulder at me several times as they walked away.  I couldn't quite tell if she was intrigued, embarrassed or confused.  Her look was hard to read, but it looked like she wanted to say, "hey, I want to talk to that kid".   Or maybe it was, "was he trying to grab my purse"? 😁 Whatever she was thinking, the bodyguards were obviously running this show....so off they went to the film department and me to my rehearsal!  I was hoping to at least get a "well, hello gorgeous!" I got a big fat nothing! πŸ˜”

A few months later, I would guest solo with John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra, singing a song he co-wrote with the Bergman's "America, the Dream Goes On".  Damn, to have had THAT to talk about in THAT moment.  I bet she would had made those bodyguards put her down then!!  I sure would had been shouting, "Alan &  Marilyn, I sang your song with the BPO! Talk to me!" LOL!

Years later, in 1996, I got to sing behind Barbra with a choir at a Democratic party fundraising event in LA.  During the rehearsal she waved at us from a distant centerstage saying, "you guys sound great!"

At another Democratic party event in LA in 2002, when I was singing background for Barry Manilow, I found myself backstage with Barbra and her entourage as she was the headliner for the event.  Again, the Bergman's, her constant companions were with her.  This time, I got a chance to chat with them at length about having performed their song and the art of songwriting. Lovely people. I even got a smile and "hello" from lady Babs herself as she whisked past me!

Barbra's big "comeback concert" was in 1993 at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas.  If you recall, this was a big freakin' deal.  Barbra's first real concert in decades!  She was to do 2 nights over the New Year.  The media and music business were buzzing!  I had faint interest in seeing the show, but wasn't too keen on the idea of paying $100, $400, $600, and certainly not $1,000 for a ticket!!!  At the time, those were record-setting ticket prices and seemed outrageous!

About a week before the concerts, my friend William, who was working at Barbra's label Columbia Records, called to tell me that he and our friend Wanda were going and he could get me $100 seat tickets if I wanted them.  I thanked him but politely declined the offer.  But fate intervened.  Not more than 5 minutes later, my best friend Malcolm who lives in Hawaii called to shoot the breeze.  "What cha doing", he asked.  "Not much" I replied, "just finished talking with a friend of mine who works at Columbia Records.  He said he can get tickets for the Streisand concert but I told him I didn't want them."  "Fool are you crazy" Malcolm screamed into the phone!  "You call him back right now and tell him you want those tickets. We are going! I'm flying over there and we are going to that concert! You must be crazy turning that down! This is once in a lifetime!"  I knew there was no arguing the situation or I would had quickly had an ex-best friend!!  So I immediately called William back, got the tickets and a few days later Malcolm arrived and off we went to Vegas to see Barbra!

Here's where the story gets wonderful AND Hi-larious!

Because we had gotten the cheap $100 seats, our whole section, around 200 people were seated on the far side of the arena stage right.  Almost behind the stage - which meant most folks in our section could not see the stage at all!  Me, I really didn't care. I felt as long as I could hear Barbra, that was good enough for me.  BUT, THE ENTIRE SECTION REVOLTED! People refused to sit in the seats so we all congregated in the foyer just outside the section entrance.  Folks were livid!  Even Malcolm, Wanda and William were spinning around in a tizzy like Tasmanian Devils!  There was so much commotion and anger that I was amused by it all. At one point, just because everyone else was getting so worked up, I joined in the fun of acting a fool too! Raging just to rage! πŸ˜‚

At 9:00pm, exactly when the concert was supposed to start, a very nervous venue manager showed up to assess the uprising.  The poor guy looked like a dear in headlights -- jittery as all get out.  I'm telling you it was a scene!  Piss off some Streisand fans and you got yourself a serious riot in the works!

While everyone else was ranting and raving, I decided to self-appointed myself as group negotiator.   After all, someone needed to be level headed around here!   I gently pulled nervous manager aside and said, "Mister, you better figure something out -- these crazy folks are not foolin' around and are gonna kill you if you don't!  I tell you what, I'll calm them down as long as you can promise you can remedy the situation.  Otherwise tonight ain't gonna be a good New Years for anybody!"  He told me the show wasn't quite sold out and there were extra tickets and he thought he could re-seat the entire section. He said he would appreciated it if I could  keep everything under control until he returned with the tickets. With that he took off and I kept the crowd contained, assuring everyone that we'd all be re-seated. Then it dawned on me,"Holy shit! If this man was pulling my leg and doesn't come back with these damn tickets, these folks are gonna take this shit out on me!" 😳

A long 15 or so crowd-restless minutes later,  here comes nervous manager looking for me!  He said, "Sir, can you let everyone know I have tickets to relocate everyone."  Once again Byron Motley took over.  I made the announcement and then instructed everyone to line up single file, behind me of course, telling them if they did not cooperate it would only prolong the situation from getting to hear and see our diva!

Nervous manager whispered to me, "Because you've been so nice I'm giving you your tickets first".  (I thought to myself, "Duh, damn straight you are - or I'M gonna pitch a bitch - and THAT you do not want"!)  LMFAO!!!! 

Then, some crazy man trying to assert some kind of authority, tried to jump in front of me barking, "I'm here with my wife and I want my tickets."  I grabbed Wanda by the hand and barked back saying, "well, I'm here with my wife and we want our tickets! Now back up and get in line!"  Nervous manager had finally started to relax and chuckled. He thanked and handed me four $600 tickets!!! WOOHOO!!!  As we celebrated and sauntered off with our upgraded tickets in hand, I looked back, and nervous manager had found his confidence and was handing out tickets left and right to everyone except the craze man with the wife.  I have a feeling just because he was acting like an entitled jerk, the now confident manager made him wait as long as he could.  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Due to the rebellion, the concert was held up for over 30 minutes!  A friend later told me, that the revolt was even reported on the news! Yes, we made the headlines and were a part of Barbra history!  What a way to ring in 1994!

The next night, New Years Day evening, trying our best to avoid losing even more money at the slots, Malcolm and I decided to be nosy and head over to the MGM Grand to watch the crowd go into Barbra's second night concert.  We managed to make our way up near the entrance just as the last patrons (many of them celebrities) were going in.  Shortly before the concert was to start, I noticed that one of the people working the ticket counter had a stack of tickets in his hands and had just handed out a pair to a couple who were also standing nearby.  I went over and asked what the tickets were for.  To my upmost surprise he asked, "do you need a couple"?  I said, "YES, 2!"  He leaned over the counter to looking at what I was wearing, (jeans, tennis shoes and sweater).  Then filtered through the tickets and handed me two $400 tickets saying, "enjoy the show"!   I'm sure if I had been dressed as cute as I had been the night before on New Years Eve he would had given me the $1000 tickets!  Nonetheless, I'll take free Streisand concert tickets any day!
A freebie! A $400 ticket for Bab's New Years Day concert 1994!

To this day, my bff Malcolm and I still relish those fun-filled Vegas nights. We got to see back-to-back Barbra Streisand concerts for $100!!!!   $2000 worth of tickets!!!!  In our own slang, we often reminisce saying, "chil', we sho' pee'd fo' that!"  πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜

So, if you have Netflix, or have a friend that does, and love you some Barbra even just a wee bit, this concert is a must watch.  Her voice has grown huskier with age, and the upper range doesn't pop like it use to, but at 75 years old, the lady still serves up goosebumps and can make you shed a tear or two!






Comments

Unknown said…
Awesome story Byron!!!
Anonymous said…
OMG just so happens "Barbra Classical" is on my turntable now as it has been for the past week...I am saturating in it.